By: Kerry Martin, APR
FPRA Orlando President-Elect
During FPRA’s November breakfast, chapter members heard from Chuck Barnett, CEO and founder of Barnett Murphy Direct Marketing (BMDM) about using direct marketing tools for public relations campaigns. He offered a number of great strategies that demonstrated how personalization in direct marketing can generate better results for your company or clients.
Here are the top 5 takeaways:
1) Speak to your audience: Using demographical information as simple as gender to tailor your print pieces can help your recipients better relate to your product or service.
2) Integrate technology with traditional mail delivery: New tools can help bring direct mail pieces to life through personalized URLs or augmented reality.
3) It’s not only about selling: Direct mail is a great strategy for community relations programs, and it gives you a platform to send out “good neighbor” promotions, offers and discounts.
4) Take advantage of word of mouth marketing: Use feedback from existing customers to share print pieces with their friends through small, targeted postcard or letter distributions.
5) Be selective in how personal you get: There is a lot of information available out there to marketers, but it doesn’t mean that you should scare your customers with how much you know about them and their individual buying habits.